4. Field Visit Report
Tranquility Hospital and Research Center (THRC):
An assignment was given to us for the group field visit at neuropsychiatric hospital and to write a report. The main purpose of the visit was to learn about the organization, Tranquility Hospital and Research Center (THRC), its goals and objectives, its main activities and also to find out the need of counseling in the field of rehabilitation.
- To get an understanding of the theoretical knowledge in practice
- To gain firsthand experience in building counseling skill
- To develop our report writing skills
Overview of the trip:
Post Graduate Diploma in counseling Psychology (PGDCP) Program, Department of Psychology and Philosophy, Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus, had organized a field visit on 16th December, 2018 to THRC, located in Khumaltar-Hattiban oralo, Lalitpur.
The visit was organized with prior permission and guidance of Program Co-coordinator Dr. Govinda S. Upadhyaya. And assisted by faculty member Mr. Rajan K.C.
We reached THRC premises at Khumaltar-Hattiban Oralo, Lalitpur at around 12:30 PM. At the very beginning we met Mr. Rajan K.C., Clinical Psychologist, who has been working for THRC as a lead clinical psychologist. We sat in the introduction class there, observed the activities program and asked different questions.
- About THRC
- Special features
- Future Plan
Tranquility Hospital and Research Center Private Limited (THRC) is a pioneer neuropsychiatric hospital in Nepal, established by the private sector and registered as per the Company Act 2063. It is located at Khumaltar Hattiban Oralo, Lalitpur, and is easily accessible by public transport. It has been into operation since 1st September, 2010. The main motto of this hospital is to provide comprehensive quality mental health care services which are within the affordable range of the general public. It is the first neuro-psychiatric, alcohol and drug related hospital run by the private sector, accredited by the Department of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Population, Nepal.
The services of THRC are as follows:
There are wide ranges of services available in the hospital.
- Inpatient Services
- Outpatient Services (OPD)
- Community Mental Health Clinics
- Mobile Crisis Service
- 24 hours Psychiatric Emergency Service
- Clinical Psychological Services
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Laboratory Services
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
- Day care Services
The Objectives of THRC are as follows:
- To increase awareness related to mental health in the general population by organizing mental health camp and community awareness program through use of mass media.
- To provide comprehensive, quality mental health services at affordable cost to the general population.
- To initiate teaching learning activities and academic program in disciplines related to mental health.
- To provide environment for conducting research activities related to mental health.
- To initiate new services related to mental health in Nepal.
The special features of THRC include the following:
- 24 hours admission facility for patients with mental illness and substance use disorders
- 24 hours emergency services
- Doctors available round the clock
- Attendants not needed for inpatients; inpatients care is done by the hospital staffs
- Prime location (500 meters from Satdobato Ring Road)
- Peaceful and peasant surrounding
- Easy accessible by public transport
The team of Tranquility Hospital consists of consultant neuro-pyschiatrists, physicians, neurologists, clinical psychologists and counselor, administrations, psychiatric rehabilitation experts, specialist nurses and social workers.
The future plans of THRC Include:
- Initiate teaching learning activities, training programs and courses in different disciplines of mental health
- Initiate research activities related to mental health
- Expansion of currently available services
- Initiate community based mental health services
Lok Raj Pathak is a Professional Computer Engineer and Technology enthusiast. He has completed Master in Science in Information Technology (M. Sc. IT) and Master in technology in Computer Science and Engineering (M. Tech. Eng). He usually writes in science and technology, life style and religion.