6. Field Visit Report
- Metropoltan Police Office Women and Children Service Center Ranipokhari
An assignment was given to us for the group field visit at Metropolitan police Office women and Children Service center Ranipokhari to write report. The main purpose of the visit was to learn about the Women and children service center of metropolitan police Office Ranipokhari , its goals and objectives, its main activities and also to find out the need of counseling in the field of victim support counseling in WCSC. .
- To get an understanding of the theoretical knowledge in practice
- To gain first hand experience in building counseling skill
- To develop our report writing skills
Overview of the trip:
Post Graduate Diploma in counseling Psychology (PGDCP) Program, Department of Psychology and Philosophy, Tri-Chandra Multiple Campus, had organized a field visit on 19th December, 2018 to Metropolitan Police Office WCSC Section MPO (WCSC) located in Ratnapark Ranipokhari , Kathmandu.
The visit was organized with prior permission and guidance of Program Coordinator Dr. Govinda S. Upadhyaya and faculty member Dr. Bharati Adhikari.
We reached MPO premises around 10:30 AM. At the very beginning we met DSP Anjana Shrestha, representative of MPO. We sat in the induction class there, observed the activities program and asked different questions.
About Metropolitan Police Office WCSC Ranipokhari :
Women and children are considered vulnerable and are provided special protection and treatment through various international charters and conventions. Nepal as a signatory country of the UN Convention on Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and Convention on Rights of Child (CRC) is legally obliged to provide protection and fair treatment to women and children, whether offender or victim. It was established according to recommendation of “Police reform Commission 1995.
Ensure Provide accessibility to justice for women and children.
Provide accessibility to justice for women and children in a conducive reporting environment.
Objective of Metropolitan Police WCSC:
- Investigation documentation and maintaining of database on criminal cases related to women and children.
- Build police capacities especially in relation to handling of (sexual Gender Based Violence SGBV related cases.
- Analyze crime patterns in relation to crimes committed against women and children.
- Production and publication of IEC materials.
- Strengthen and broaden the scope of women and children service centers.
- Raise public awareness.
- Coordination and networking with concerned stakeholders.
WCSC deal with the following cases:
- Sexual offence( rape or attempt to rape, incest, sexual abuse and exploitation of children and marital rape)
- Domestic violence (physical, sexual, mental and economic violence)
- Polygamy, child Marriage
- Untouchable (chhuwachhut)
- Allegation of witchcraft
- Illegal abortion
- Human trafficking
Role and responsibilities of WCSC:
- Awareness raising programs: rallies, radio and TV programs
- School liaison programs
- Publications (user guides for police and security and safety information for civil society)
- WCSD coordinates and carries out trainings and workshops for capacity building of the police regarding issues related to women and children.
- Keeping, analyzing and dissemination of crime data related to women and children.
- Provide support services to victims in co-ordination with concerned Governmental and Non governmental Agencies.
WCSC coordinates and networks with Government Agencies ,UN agencies and I/NGOs
Lok Raj Pathak is a Professional Computer Engineer and Technology enthusiast. He has completed Master in Science in Information Technology (M. Sc. IT) and Master in technology in Computer Science and Engineering (M. Tech. Eng). He usually writes in science and technology, life style and religion.